Welcome to the Juniper Reading Challenge!
This six-book challenge is designed to keep children KS1 – KS2 reading at home, to engage parents with their child’s reading and to make choosing a book a little bit easier.
The Juniper Reading Challenge has been designed to encourage children to:
- read widely and often extending their knowledge of authors and genres
- write about and discuss what they have read
- make recommendations to their friends
- develop their overall reading skills
Who can take the challenge?
Designed for children in KS1 through to Year 6
The curated book lists have been split into three age groups but can be mixed and matched if preferred, we have recommended:
- KS1: Picture books to share.
- Lower KS2: Longer stories for children developing some reading stamina, recommended for Years 3 and 4.
- Upper KS2: Stories for older readers, recommended for years 5 and 6.
The books have been chosen by our expert team of advisory librarians in the Education Resources Service. They have used their expertise to hand-pick books from a range of genres which they know children and parents will find engaging – with a few personal favourites included as well.
How to complete the challenge
Read and review 6 books
The Juniper Reading Challenge can be completed by reading and reviewing all six books in the recommended lists. Alternatively, reading or listening to six other preferred books and completing a review form will also complete the challenge.
Any child that completes the challenge by reading and reviewing any six books will receive a certificate.
How to take the challenge
- Use the form below to let us know that your class or virtual book club will be taking the Juniper Reading Challenge.
- Use our recommended book list for your year group.
- Share the Juniper Reading Challenge activity sheet with your class so that pupils can keep track of their reading.
- Show parents or carers where they can buy or borrow the recommended books. All the books are available in paperback, audio and/or eBook formats. Your public library service may also have a digital copy that you can borrow. Alternatively, pupils can choose to read six different books of their choice.
- Encourage pupils to read or listen to the books!
- Share our book review templates or our online book review form with your class.
- Any pupil that completes the challenge by reading and reviewing six books using the online book review form will receive a certificate. If they have used the book review template, simply let us know that they have completed the challenge by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you their certificate.
How to take the challenge
- Use the form below to let us know that your child/children will be taking the Juniper Reading Challenge.
- Pick the best reading level from our recommended book lists for your child, if preferred, mix and match books depending on what appeals the most.
- Download the Juniper Reading Challenge activity sheet so that your child can keep track of their reading.
- Buy or borrow the recommended books. All the books are available in paperback, audio and/or eBook formats. Your public library service may also have a digital copy that you can borrow. Alternatively, pupils can choose to read six different books of their choice.
- Give your child time to read or listen to the books or share the book with them.
- Encourage your child to tell us what they think about the book by either downloading one of our book review templates or filling in the online book review form within the book list pages.
- Once your child has read six books simply let us know that they have completed the challenge using our contact form and we will send you their certificate.