Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge
Under the heading ‘Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge‘, The Teachers Standards states ‘if teaching early reading, demonstrate a clear understanding of systematic synthetic phonics’. So it’s likely that all those working with primary aged will teach some early reading, if only to small groups of struggling readers. Therefore, it’s essential that all staff have the knowledge and skills to teach early reading, including phonics.
This training is designed for teachers and support staff. It will ensure all staff:
- receive the same message about the teaching of phonics
- understand and use key terminology
- understand the importance of blending for reading and segmenting for spelling
- know how and when new learning is introduced into the teaching of phonics
- receive some practical ideas to take away and use with the pupils they teach