Curriculum and Teaching
”“Great teaching is the most important lever schools have to improve outcomes for their pupils. Improving the quality of teaching—both the planning and implementation—is almost always supported by high-quality professional development.”EEF, 2020
- How are we re-establishing good progress in the essentials – phonics and reading, increasing vocabulary, writing and mathematics?
- How are we balancing the need to prioritise teaching time to address gaps in pupils’ knowledge with teaching an ambitious and broad curriculum in all subjects?
- How are we planning towards returning to our normal curriculum content by no later than the summer term 2021?
- How are we identifying and addressing our staff’s professional development needs?
- How are we ensuring that our teaching is inclusive for all pupils, especially those with SEND?
- Is our remote education integrated into our school curriculum provision, without placing unnecessary burdens on staff?
- Do our resources and teaching materials support the teaching of an ambitious and broad curriculum in all subjects?
Watch our webinar recordings to hear what our experts say
Our specialists hosted two webinars where they considered strategies to help schools identify gaps in learning that may have arisen as a result of the pandemic, looking at approaches to assessment that give the best diagnostic information. Also, why a focus on curriculum and teaching needs to be at the heart of your school’s COVID-19 catch-up strategy. Watch the recordings below.
How Can Juniper Help?
Professional Development: Our professional development programme is focused on helping your pupils get back on track. Participants can either join one of our centrally-delivered webinars or you can arrange for one of our expert Education Advisers to deliver whole-school training or staff meetings in the following areas:
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Leading on Phonics
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Reading Comprehension
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Vocabulary
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Grammar and Punctuation
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Writing
- Engaging Reluctant Readers
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Multiplication and Division
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Mastering Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Using Variation Theory
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Using Bar Modelling
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Teaching Statistics
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Teaching Algebra
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: New to Year 2 Maths
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: New to Year 6 Maths
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Non-Fiction Reading
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Using Artefacts to Enhance Your Broader Curriculum
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Harnessing Metacognition and Self-Regulation Strategies
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Harnessing Collaborative Learning
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Harnessing Effective Feedback
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: Maths for Pupils with SEND
- Helping Pupils Get Back on Track: English for Pupils with SEND
- Special Educational Needs in Mainstream Schools: Unpacking the EEF Guidance Report
- Dyslexia Awareness Training
Juniper’s Mobile Professional Development Collection: is a set of over 100 staff development courses for education professionals, designed for on-demand, convenient training. Available offline via the Juniper mobile app or online via the web portal, The Collection Pathways are a cost-effective way of ensuring everyone from trainee teachers to school leaders can access expert training all year long.
- Teaching and Learning: Primary – 100+ Guided Learning Hours of Professional Development for £100 per teacher per year.
- Staff and Pupil Wellbeing – 35+ Guided Learning Hours of Professional Development for £50 per teacher per year.
- Teaching Assistant Development Programme: audits TAs skills and aspirations, then recommends the best courses from the CPD Library to help them develop. £50 per TA per year.
Consultancy: our expert advisers are available to support you and your staff in the following areas, all of which can be delivered in-school or remotely.
- Reading Walk: expert Librarians from our Education Resources team can support you by reviewing how reading-friendly your school environment is.
- Reading for Pleasure Review: expert Librarians from our Education Resources team can support you by reviewing how well your school encourages reading for pleasure by focusing on where you are now, where you would like to be, and how you can get there.
- Book Corner Review: expert Librarians from our Education Resources team can support you by reviewing the effectiveness of your book corners. We can advise you on books to improve your book corners and supply them directly to you. Think of our book specialists as your personal shoppers!
- Subject-Specific Audits: our expert Teaching and Learning Advisers can review your provision in core subjects and provide insights into how to improve your school’s teaching of phonics, reading, vocabulary, writing and maths.
- Subject Leader Support: our expert Teaching and Learning Advisers can support your Subject Leaders with tracking pupil progress, action planning and monitoring to ensure that your pupils catch up on lost learning as quickly as possible.
- SEND Review: our expert SEND Advisers can review your provision for pupils with SEND.
- Staff Meetings: our Professional Development Meetings for Primary English consists of a collection of staff meetings providing high quality training on the teaching of English in Primary Schools. They are designed to be delivered in school or virtually by a teacher who is experienced in the subject area or, in certain localities, a Juniper Education Teaching and Learning Adviser. The meetings cover the teaching of Comprehension, Grammar, Phonics, Spelling and Vocabulary.
Resources: our expert advisers have developed resources to help you address gaps in pupils’ knowledge. These can be used by teachers or teaching assistants or sent home for parents and carers to use.
- Reading Comprehension Question Cards: Our Reading Comprehension Question Cards have been developed to help staff structure and organise active and useful reading comprehension sessions that can help in satisfying the National Curriculum learning outcomes for each year group from 1-6.
- Resources to Support the Teaching of Phonics: Following requests from schools and delegates who have attended phonics training, we have compiled a range of practical resources that support the teaching of phonics.
- Artefact Loan Boxes: With school visits being difficult due to COVID-19 restrictions, you can bring the world into your classroom instead. Our artefact collection gives children of all ages and abilities the opportunity to see, touch and use objects from a period of history, a religion or a culture that is outside of their experience. We have over 300 boxes, covering 50 subjects including; recycling around the world, WW1, WW2, medieval history, the Romans, and much more. Artefact Loan Boxes are a regional service – they are available to schools in Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk.
- Storytelling Book Bus: Our Storytelling Book Bus is designed to foster an early love of stories and reading, through lively interactive storytelling and high-quality picture books. The Book Bus visits you on-site for a special story time from one of our librarians, plus an opportunity to select from our extensive collection of picture books. The Storytelling Book Bus is a regional service – it is available to schools in Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk.
- Books to Borrow or Buy: We have an extensive selection of age-appropriate fiction and non-fiction school books to borrow or buy. Our expert librarians can support you in ensuring that books are selected based on the individual needs of your school and learners.
- Curated Book Bundles: Containing key authors and classics as well as new titles, our book bundles are designed to support reading for pleasure, curriculum, pupil wellbeing and mental health. All books are appealing, high-quality and age-appropriate and come with plastic jackets giving you excellent value for money. Curated Book Bundles can be delivered nationally.
- Juniper Book Award: Designed to inspire reading for pleasure, The Juniper Book Awards are open to all primary schools (Years 5 and 6) and secondary schools (Years 7 to 9). Pupils are invited to read six shortlisted books and judge which one they consider to be the best.
- Reading Road Map: The Reading Road Map in an initiative that has been created to help encourage children to develop a new passion for reading. It is a tool for children, parents and educators to recommend different up to date books, authors and genres.
- Juniper’s Mobile Home Learning Collection: is a set of over 100 resources for parents and carers of primary-age and secondary-age children and young people which aim to build stronger home-school links by supporting academic learning and personal development. Available offline via the Juniper mobile app or online via the web portal, The Home Learning Collection is a cost-effective way of ensuring children have access to high quality learning resources.
- Home Learning: Primary – 100+ Guided Learning Hours of Home Learning Resources for £100 per pupil per year.
- Home Learning: Secondary – 100+ Guided Learning Hours of Home Learning Resources for £100 per student per year.
- Phonics for Parents: This resource is designed for parents and guides them through the basics of phonics including terminology, progression and reading with their child. You can use it for a parent meeting or send it to parents for use at home. Phonics for Parents is a companion piece to Juniper Education’s Professional Development Meeting on Teaching Phonics.
The Concentric Curriculum: If you’re looking to review and improve your curriculum, Juniper’s Concentric Curriculum is the answer! It empowers leaders and teachers to deliver the Primary National Curriculum with clarity around intent and flexibility around implementation. It is an online, comprehensive solution to your primary curriculum design and comprises a multitude of materials for curriculum mapping, short- and medium-term planning, and resources to support delivery of teaching and learning.