Book of the Week
Key Stage 1
Mr Gumpy’s Motor Car
Author and Illustrator – John Burningham
Publisher – Random House Children’s Publishers UK
Paperback – 9780099417958
e-Audiobook – 9781448102631
Mr Gumpy has decided to go for a ride in his motor car. He only gets so far down the lane before the children and animals ask if they can come along too. As they make their way across the field, the rain begins to pour, and the tyres cannot grip the muddy ground.
This John Burningham classic is fun and full of entertaining illustrations.
Upper Key Stage 2
Welcome to Nowhere
Author – Elizabeth Laird
Publisher – Pan Macmillan
Paperback – 9781509840472
e-Book – 9781509840489
Twelve-year-old Omar and his brothers and sisters were born and raised in the beautiful city of Bosra, Syria. But everything changes when the bombs start falling, people are dying, and Omar and his family have no choice but to flee their home with only what they can carry. No matter how far they run, the shadow of war follows them.
A powerful story of a family’s dangerous journey to escape their homeland.
Website of the Week
Scroll down and follow the instructions to make an origami boat. Once you have done so, you may like to try another of the origami creations on this page.
Artefact of the Week
Australian Road Signs
When you travel through Australia you will see road signs warning motorists to look out for animals that may cross the road.
What shape are information signs?
Find out about the different kinds of road signs in the UK and lots more about road safety here.
The Magic Roundabout is in Swindon.
Picture/Clip of the Week
Challenge of the Week
Put these famous ships in the order in which they were built
- Cutty Sark
- HMS Endeavour
- SS Great Britain
- HMS Beagle
- HMS Victory
Look at a map of London Underground – you can download one here.
- Paddington to Liverpool Street
- Tower Hill to Regent’s Park
- Heathrow Airport to London City Airport
- London Transport Museum (Covent Garden) to Cutty Sark
- White Hart Lane to Upton Park?
- Activity Area – Week 1 – Chocolate
- Activity Area – Week 2 – Animals
- Activity Area – Week 3 – Reaching for the Moon
- Activity Area – Week 4 – Space
- Activity Area – Week 5 – The Body
- Activity Area – Week 6 – The Human Body
- Activity Area – Week 7 – Castles
- Activity Area – Week 8 – Castles II
- Activity Area – Week 9 – Growth
- Activity Area – Week 10 – Growth II
- Activity Area – Week 11 – Journeys
- Parent Timetables for KS1 and KS2